Game day appetizers are a staple of any party, whether it’s the World Series, week 12 of the NFL season or the NBA finals. How do you plan to complete your menu for that day? Will you serve baby back ribs, hot wings, pizza and an assortment of dips? Compete your menu with easy-to-make game day appetizers.
- 4 cups Roma or Italian plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking spray
- 20 sheets Athens Fillo Dough (9″ x 14″), thawed
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 cups mozzarella, grated
- 1/2 cup Parmesan, grated, for garnish
- Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- In a bowl, season chopped tomatoes with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside. Lightly coat a 3″ cup muffin pan with cooking spray. Layer 5 fillo sheets, lightly coating each with cooking spray. Cut six 4-inch circles from fillo stack. Place cut circle into the muffin cup. Carefully push fillo into cup, pressing firmly against bottom and sides. Repeat process 3 times to make 24 tarts. Bake fillo tarts in preheated 350ºF oven for 8 – 10 minutes or until golden. Spoon 2 tablespoons of chopped tomatoes into fillo tarts. Sprinkle with basil. Top with 1 tablespoon of grated mozzarella. Bake in preheated 350ºF oven for 3 – 4 minutes or until cheese melts. Sprinkle each tart with grated Parmesan and garnish with basil leaves. Serve immediately.
- TIPS: Omit Fillo Dough and Cooking spray from ingredients and cut remaining ingredient amounts in half.
- Fill Athens Mini Fillo Shells (2 boxes) instead of making your own shell. Yield 30 appetizers.