This sure-to-delight dessert features fresh strawberries and whipped cream between layers of light and flaky fillo.
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 20 sheets Athens Fillo Dough (9”x14”), thawed
- Powdered sugar, for garnish
- Sliced almonds, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, toss together strawberries, sugar and Grand Marnier. Chill for 1 hour.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Layer 5 fillo sheets, brushing each with melted butter. Cut fillo widthwise into 4 equal strips and then cut 8 triangles, 2 per strip. There will be some extra fillo pieces on the edges. Repeat process 3 times for a total of 32 triangles of layered fillo.
- Place fillo triangles on greased baking sheet and cover with parchment paper. Place another baking sheet on top. This will prevent the fillo from curling up. Bake in preheated 350ºF oven for 5 – 7 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.
- In a chilled bowl, combine the heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla. Whip to twice the volume.
- Assemble Napoleon with 4 fillo triangles. Spoon 2 tablespoons strawberry mixture on first fillo triangle and top with 2 tablespoons whipped cream. Repeat layering with 3 remaining fillo triangles and filling. Dust Napoleon with powdered sugar and sprinkle top with sliced almonds. Repeat process to make 8 Napoleons. Garnish plate with remaining whipped cream. Serve cool or chilled.