Make it Fabulous with Phyllo Recipe Contest Finalist
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or 3 sprays of non-stick spray
- 3 ounces chorizo (can substitute soyrizo – lower in fat)
- 8 tablespoons sweet chili sauce (typically served with egg rolls)
- 1/2 small jalapeno diced, reserve one whole slice for garnish
- 1 small bunch cilantro, removed from stem and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives (use the whites and greens of the onion)
- 3 ounces low fat cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 16 Sheets Athens® Phyllo Dough (9″ x 14″), thawed
Using a small nonstick skillet, add 1 teaspoon olive oil and cook the chorizo for 5 minutes. After 2 1/2 minutes, stir the chorizo, which will become firm and darker in color. Set aside chorizo to cool.
In a small bowl, blend sweet chili sauce (reserve 4 tablespoons for dipping), diced jalapeño, chopped chives and cream cheese. Now add and blend chopped cilantro and the cooled chorizo.
Place the Phyllo on the work surface. Lay a sheet of Phyllo dough on the work surface and lightly brush with butter. Start with the edges and brush towards the center to prevent the Phyllo from cracking. Repeat for three more sheets. Place 2 tablespoons of the filling in the center of the short edge of the stacked Phyllo, leaving 1 inch from each side free of the filling. Roll twice and then fold the side edges in to enclose the sides. Continue to roll until the end of the Phyllo is reached. Repeat this process until 4 rolls have been completed. Place the rolls seam side down at least 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Brush the rolls with the remaining butter. Bake in a preheated 3501/4F for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve the rolls warm with the reserved sweet chili sauce. Garnish with sliced jalapeño, green onions or cilantro.
[embedplusvideo height=”433″ width=”770″ editlink=”http://bit.ly/2s3GS64″ standard=”http://www.youtube.com/v/qZZpYSR8CRY?fs=1&vq=hd720″ vars=”ytid=qZZpYSR8CRY&width=770&height=433&start=&stop=&rs=w&hd=1&autoplay=0&react=1&chapters=¬es=” id=”ep5665″ /]