1 (16 ounce) package phyllo dough
1/2 cup chocolate chips
2/3 cup peanuts
2/3 cup bananas, chopped
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup white sugar
1 cup water
½ cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9x13 baking dish.
2. In a bowl, mix together peanuts, chocolate chips, chopped bananas, and stir until blended.
3. Place 2 sheets of phyllo in bottom of baking dish, brushing between each with butter. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of peanut, chocolate chip and banana mixture onto phyllo. Repeat layers until all ingredients are used, ending with 6 sheets of phyllo on top. Using a sharp knife, cut baklava into preferred serving sizes.
4. Bake in preheated oven 50 minutes, until golden and crisp.
5. While baklava is baking, combine sugar and water in small saucepan, bring to boil. Stir in honey and vanilla extract, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
6. Remove baklava from oven and immediately spoon syrup over it. Let cool completely before serving and store uncovered.
I gave this classic baklava recipe a unique twist with peanuts, chocolate chips, and bananas. This easy baklava keeps well in an unrefrigerated setting, and would also work quite nicely in a buffet or dinner party situation, especially if placed onto cupcake liners or paper doilies for individual servings.